Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Finally caught enough phone signal - days 7-9



As I sit here, it is Wednesday May 16th. Yesterday I realized that if I didn’t get started writing while away from network access, I’d never get any more writing done, so I started writing while offline, and this is the first time that I could get any sort of connection to upload stuff, so this will be a big update.  I am still a couple of days behind, and I hope to catch up some more tomorrow.

When I last wrote, I was on Salt Spring Island, staying with my aunt Ellen and uncle Jerry at the Salt Spring Way. 

Day 7
From Salt Spring Island back to Jeanne’s with a short stop in a drainage ditch…otherwise known as “the adventures ensue”
I woke up early, and having finished prepping the bike the night before, set about to get something to eat and head out.  After a mango, a banana and a large cup of coffee, I hopped on the bike and headed to Fulford Harbor to catch the ferry back to Swartz bay.  Just as I am entering Fulford, I am flagged down by my aunt Ellen, who had forgotten to set her alarm, and thus was not able to see me off before I left the house.  Hugs and pictures ensued (I will post the pics when I get them).  Then it was off to board the ferry. 

It is an open question whether I was the most strangely equipped pedestrian on board the ferry that morning as one gentleman was towing a kayak on board – he was the only person who had as much trouble as I navigating the passenger walkway onto the ferry.  I still think that I made oddest, as he at least appeared to only have a kayak, whereas I am loaded with way too many electronics and strange items.

Once back on land at Swartz bay, I managed to find my way *to* the Lochside trail much more easily than the reverse days before.  I rode down to the same fruit stand that I had stopped at on the way up – this time I picked up some candied smoked salmon as well as a banana and a couple of apples. 

Then I headed back down the trail.  Not very far along (maybe 1/4 mile), I was distracted playing with something-or-other, and I ended up in the reeds next to the trail.  This was merely a pain – but then, the side of the drainage ditch gave way, and I ended up face down in about 2 feet of muddy water with my bike and stuff on my back.  After what seemed like an awfully long time, I managed to get enough leverage to get my head out of the water and sloooowly flip the bike over and shove it back on the trail. 

After extracting myself from the muck, I climbed out of the ditch to examine the damages.  First of all, the baggy around my neck which had been carrying the new phone was full of water.  So I emptied the bag, ripped the back off the phone and extracted the battery.  Next, I pulled the other phone out of my pants pocket and did the same.  Looking at my helmet, I realized that my ipod got stuck in the mud at the bottom of the ditch.  The mud was apparently stronger than the Velcro holding the ipod to my helmet.   Other than that, everything seemed to be OK.  I rode for a little ways until I reached a picnic table where I could uncork the bags to change socks and examine things more closely.  It looks like my attempts at preparing for rain had held me in good stead.  The panniers were wet only on the outside, and the motorcycle battery’s dry bag appears to have done its job.

Since it was a lovely, warm day, and I really didn’t want to strip down to (and beyond) my skivvies while standing in the middle of a school’s baseball field, I figured that I would just ride on and see just how “quick drying” these “performance” clothes were, so it was back off down the trail.

About 2 miles down the trail, I came across the same piggies (up and around this time) – I dunno why, but the piggies are very interesting to me.

The piggies as seen on the way back
Back on the trail, I made it down to Victoria, and into the only HP Velotechnic dealer on my route for the bike’s first tune-up.  While the guys at Fairfield Bicycles (http://www.fairfieldbicycle.com/) worked on my bike, I went off to get lunch (it was just after noon).  Given the excitement of the day, I figured that I could get away with more than I would usually have, so I went off to Big Wheel Burger and had a double bacon cheeseburger with fries and a beer – very unusual for me to have a beer with lunch.  When I returned to the bike shop, they had nearly finished up on my bike, and after a couple of small purchases, I was off to the Mountain Equipment co-op (http://www.mec.ca) where I picked up some shorts and a new bike mount for my phone. 

Then it was back to the Black Ball Ferry lines to take the Coho back to Port Angeles.  While on the ferry, I threw my phones into a big ziplock and set it in the sun on the deck to try to dry them out.  I also met a couple of bicyclists who were heading over to Washington to visit the Salt Creek recreation area (http://www.clallam.net/Parks/SaltCreek.html).

The couple off to explore the north coast of Washington
The mountains of northern Washington are quite a sight  from the ferry:
The mountains behind Port Angeles as seen from the ferry 
Disembarking at Port Angeles, I contacted Jeanne, and rode some of the Olympic Discovery trail, until I got to a good stopping point – where again, I observed the glorious mountains 

More beautiful mountains
and waited for Jeanne to come pick me up, as it was getting dark and I was tired.

Jeanne and I managed to be too late for any of the restaurants in Sequim that she knows and likes, so we went and bought groceries instead.  I took out my new camp pots (thanks Jeanne - I needed those), and my favorite 8" skillet and whipped up some chicken thighs poached in picante sauce, chicken broth and whatever else came to mind (onions, garlic, a pasilla chile, half a red bell pepper, etc.) - I also steamed some asparagus and tossed a pint of berries with some sugar and cream - this made a very satisfying meal.

Distance: about 48 miles
One mishap – cost: one ipod, maybe one phone.
A bit too much adventure today.

Day 8
Today I hung out a Jeanne’s until my mother, Sharon, arrived.  I tried to organize and clean up a bit, which only emphasized how much stuff I have on the trip. 

Sharon arrived about 5pm and we went to introducing the dogs and setting up stuff.  Sharon set up and slept in the camper for the first time, and then we awoke, late to try to start:

Day 9
It took an amazing amount of time to get set up and back on the road.  Sharon has taken to describing us as a herd of turtles.  We finally managed to leave – at 5pm.  We weren’t likely to get all that far this day.

Right outside the entrance to Jeanne’s trailer park is a historical marker for the discovery of discovery bay: 
Even just riding down US101, the views are astounding.  When you come around the corner and see this:  
it’s hard to not just say “Wow!”  If all I did was take pictures every time I went “wow,” there would be lots and lots of pictures of the mountains.  I’ll try to keep it down to one or two a day.

I rode down US101 until I reached a good access point for the Olympic Discovery trail.  The trail is wonderful.  Mainly paved, about as flat as you can get around here and with lots of neat stuff to see.  They’ve put up signs for a lot of the interesting features of the trail.  This is Johnson Trestle which was built for the railroad which, after it died, became much of the trail. 

Having started so late, we didn’t get very far – after a stop at the Sequim Walmart (they’re taking over), we made it to the Dungeness Recreation area for the night.  Setting up camp took a bit of time, as we both have too much stuff, and in fact repeat a bunch.  But here under the trees, it’s neat to watch the camper go up.
The camper going up

This camper is quite functional and really rather comfy.  I consider it my luxe accommodations.
My luxe accommodations and Little Bird
 Even leaving so late, I managed to ride 23.7 miles before getting to the campsite.
Average speed: 7.7 mph
Max speed: 31 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment