Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 13 - Beaver, WA to Hoh Oxbow Campground

Day 13 – from Beaver, WA to Hoh Oxbow campground


Yesterday, I finally managed to torch myself.  I must have sweated off all of the sunscreen early – time to apply more *every* time I stop. 

I did manage to get a call through to the Adventure Cycling Association, and they were able to give me (over the phone) the remaining route for the map I lost.  Unfortunately, we still don’t have campground information for anything below the Quinault Reservation.

I also figured out that the main drain on my phone was the display (not the GPS), and thus will be able to keep regular statistics again, even if my on-the-road charging system has failed (which it has – I need to poke at it again and see if I can resurrect it).

It was another slow beginning – I  think that I finally got on my bike and rode away at about 2PM – this herd of turtles is slowly continuing forward.  We are getting more efficient about packing up, but it’s still taking forever to get on the road.  Neither Sharon nor I are the fastest in the morning, and we do tend to sit around bleary-eyed with a cup of coffee for a while.  Also, the dished from the night before usually need to be done before we can eat.  I did, finally, hit the road, and it was a nice ride.

Between Beaver and Forks there is a reservation with a few businesses including the Smokehouse restaurant and Smoked Salmon Lounge:
The smokehouse restaurant and smoked salmon lounge
which makes me think of a list of many kinds of smoked salmon and a snooty smoked salmon expert (Salmonier?) – “we have the dry smoked with chili, the piquancy of which is unmatched…”

Coming into Forks, we begin to see signs of the coming apocalypse:
A sign of the coming apocalypse

There are way too many businesses geared towards Twilight:

There are also guided bus tours, businesses named after Bella and the Cullens, etc.  A local shopkeeper said that the peak of the mania was 2009 and 2010, and that business tripled or quadrupled for a while there.

This, however, seems a bit more my speed: 
I’m glad to advertise it, as the area is absolutely beautiful, and the local economy can use any help that it can get.

Of course, up here where US 101 is *the* highway, 101 is the Blue Star Memorial highway: 

That sign is just outside the USFS and NPS information centers, which were, of course, closed.
Forks USFS and NPS information center
In fact, so far, every ranger station and information center that we’ve passed has been closed.  The only “official” presence that we’ve seen have been the camp hosts at the locally run campgrounds (Dungeness and Salt Creek)

I believe that today (Friday) the information center is supposed to be open, so Sharon is going back to investigate – perhaps she’ll be able to get more maps and info about camping further south (we’ve only got about another 100 miles before we switch routes to maps that I haven’t lost yet – so we’re covered from Elma south, but we still have to get from Amanda Park to Elma, and I think that’s more than a day’s ride – especially at the rate we’re going.  I’m not really worried about the pace, however, as this is a part of the country that neither of us has been in before, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Sharon and I met up at Bogachiel state park, where I mentioned to her that this was the first day that I hadn’t spent any time stopped by the side of the road to catch my breath while going uphill.  Of course, just outside the park, I hit a notable hill, probably a mile or more long.  However, I did manage to spin my way up it (at 4.4 mph) without stopping.  I am proud of myself.  I am finally learning how to do hills on this (or any) trike.  I’ve never been much of a hill climber before, and boy has this part of the trip been hilly.

But then, I reached the top of the hill:
The top of the hill after a 1-2 mile climb
I think that it’s now mainly downhill until we reach the ocean – about another 10 miles or so.

Just after the crest of the hill, I got to see a classic purveyor of northwestern kitch:
Northwestern Kitch - pic may be squished

Not far from there, we stopped at the Hoh Oxbow campground, as it’s another 20 mile or so to the next campground that we know of, and at our pace, my legs might not hold out.  Wow.  Another gorgeous place to stop.  The Hoh river is very pretty: 
The Hoh river at Hoh Oxbow
The aquamarine color of the quick moving water is unlike anything that I’ve seen (OK, so I haven’t seen that much in terms of mountain rivers).

Our campsite had a neat quarter circle fireplace which kept us nice and toasty:
The fireplace at the campsite

It was cold out – somewhere in the 40’s and damp – which is why I am actually wearing a stocking cap:

Matthew and Little Bird at the Hoh Oxbow campsite
Sharon made a pork stew and rice, which was delicious.  We then sat before the fire talking for a couple of hours, and went to bed.  It was a very nice day, even if I didn’t get many miles in.

Stats:
23.7 miles
Average speed (including stops) 6.9 mph.
Top speed: 39 mph
Total climb: more than 1000’ (lots of nice fast downhills too)

No comments:

Post a Comment