Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 22– Leaving Portland and starting to ride again (May 26th)



Sharon and I finally get everything together and get out of Portland sometime in the early afternoon on Saturday.  We then head back north on I-5 to Kelso, and Sharon visited the Kelso historical society museum while I reassembled the bike and reorganized the camper so that it was again useable.

Once the bike was back together in functional order, we headed off.  Kelso is awfully spread out for a town of its population, and it seemed like it took forever to get out of town (heading west on WA 4).  The bike route in Kelso is actually on the sidewalks, so a couple of times I had to get the attention of a group of teenaged males, so that I could pass by them.  Each time, I heard one of them say “that is a really cool bike” – I appreciated that.

Once I finally got out of Kelso, I saw this sign:
Makes me think of Jeanne
the sign made me think of Jeanne, because she used to live in Long Beach, WA.  In fact, her beloved Woof, Gussie, is buried in the dunes there.  I remember Gussie – she was such a sweet animal.  Ah well, I digress, and besides I make myself sniffle and tear up…so back to the ride.

Much of the ride was right next to the Columbia river, which provided some fun viewing – the river scenes themselves are attractive, but sometimes other things caugh my attention or amused me along the way, for example – the tower (in the river) which had been taken over by eagles (I think). 
The tower that's been taken over by eagles
The nest was quite impressive
The Nest
I rode through “historic” Stella
on a road which was often carved out of the bluff
The road was carved out of the bluff
Because of the late start, I didn’t get very far.  We ended up camping in county line park, our least expnsive campsite, which appears to mainly be a fishing camp.  We got one of the last sites (an RV site).  
Actually, for tent camping, I would actually stay there again, squeezed between the road and the water.


Statistics:
Distance: 16.6 miles
Average Speed: 6.9 mph
Top speed: 33.6 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment