Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 15 - Kalaloch Campground to Lake Quinault

We got out of the campsite before noon!  After cleanup and all, we made it out while it was still AM – barely.

Riding down the coast, I passed beach 2 and beach 1, then the South Beach primitive campground (closed for repairs), then I turned inland and headed east on US 101.  

Very soon, the road started to head uphill.  While I did have a tailwind, it was mainly uphill for 24 miles - I actually rode 24 miles uphill in under 3 hours.  I'm finally getting some legs.

There are lots of dead mills around here.  There are rusting hulks all over the place:
seen by the side of the road
For at least 2 hours I kept seeing a partial vista that looked like it was going to open up at any time:
The vista is teasing me
 Finally, when I reached the edge of Lake Quinault, it opened up.
The vista finally opened up
I was pooped from the long uphill and coasted whenever I could t this point.  Finally, I reached the only open campground at the 101 side of Lake Quinault.  The lake is quite pretty, and we have a nice campsite.  After sweating through everything that I was wearing, I took a sponge bath and washed all of the clothing that I was wearing:
Our campsite, complete with my drying laundry
Statistics:
Distance: 33.7 miles
Average speed: 7.3 mph (with stops)
Top speed: 33 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment