Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 5 - Salt Spring Island

Wed 5/9

Today is another restful day.  I slept late ( 9 AM! ), had a nice breakfast of an omelet with Salt Spring Island chili feta, coffee, and toast made from the same bread that we had for dinner last night.

Once we finally got moving, I drove Ellen into Ganges (the big population center on Salt Spring - about 5,000 residents) so that she could have tea with some of her friends, and then went to pick Jerry up from the Ferry where he was coming in from Vancouver.  Jerry and I then went and visited both of the artisinal cheese makers on the island (one makes goat and sheep's milk cheese, the other cows milk cheese) - I had to get two or three kinds of goat cheese - a blue ripened cheese, a "plain" ripened cheese, and a fresh goats milk cheese with chilis.  All of them were very good.  While we were at one of the cheesemakers, it started to sprinkle, then we had a bit of hail (?!?) small hail, but hail nonetheless.

Jerry and I then joined Ellen at a meet and greet for the local hospitality industry (lots of B&B's on Salt Spring), where we got to sample the wares from a few of the local restauranteurs, including some nice smoked salmon pinwheels, a couple of curries from the Rock Salt restaurant and cafe (very good - their green curry was tasty and had some serious heat to it, and their red curry was very nice, and had whole coriander in it - unexpected, but very tasty).  There was also some very good coffee from one of the coffee roasters on the island.

Coming back to the Salt Spring Way, we had much nice conversation, and Ellen made a lovely roast salmon.  Have I mentioned yet how much I like salmon?  Well, I do, and so far on this trip I've had at least three meals centered around salmon, and all of them have been good.

Well, it's of to bed for me - tomorrow I shall see how successful I am at bicycling around Salt Spring.  Maybe I'll even make it to Ganges or Vesuvius.  The trip TO Ganges should be just fine, but coming back may be a bit of a bear - there's a section of the road that has a 13% grade - I'm not sure that I'll be able to get up that hill very well.  On the other hand, I might well be able to beat my top speed going DOWN it.

No riding today, so no riding stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment