Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 23 - County line park to Fort Stevens State park

Day 23 (27th)

After Breakfast, while setting up the bike for a ride, I had a conversation with one of our neighbors at the campsite - about the bike and ride, as well as his red Husky (a fine looking dog), and the seven pound steelhead that he just caught.  A decent way to start the day.

Riding out from the campsite, it was another several miles on the road stapled to the side of the bluff, then at Cathlamet, I turned left and rode to Puget island, where Sharon and I caught the ferry from Puget Island to Westport, OR.  This is reputed to be the last ferry plying the lower Columbia river.

On the ferry
The Westport ferry dock
As you can see from the pictures, this is a small operation.  The ferry runs once an hour on the hour (heading south), and is definitely a nice alternative to the Astoria bridge.

Leaving Westport, I started uphill nearly immediately, and it continued to be fairly steep for a while.  By the time I reached the top, it seemed like I could feel every one of the 656 feet of elevation:
The summit of that long hill
Sharon and I met at Knappa, OR and ate at the Red Heron.  I had a cup of good coffee, and a good sandwich.  They also have Tillamook ice cream and a tanning bed (??).  Apparently the tanning bed predates the coffee shop.
The Red Heron
Setting off, I headed towards Astoria, while Sharon ran ahead to Fort Stevens state park to try to secure a campsite.

I finally reach Astoria, somewhat pooped and in need of water and a bathroom.  Stopping in at a Chevron station, I used the facilities and bought  bottle of water.  The clerk complimented my bike, and we started talking.  It turns out that he has a friend who just summited Mt. Everest.

Riding out, I passed under the Astoria bridge:
The Astoria Bridge
I then headed out across another bridge to Warenton.  Riding through Warrenton, I saw the following thrift store:
Do they know the rest of that saying?
This makes me wonder: does anyone know the sayings that they quote on their signs?

Finally, I roll into Fort Stevens state park.  Sharon has managed to secure a campsite from someone who wasn't going to be able to use it that night.  This was a good thing, since the whole, huge campground was full unto bursting.  The campsite was expensive, but has free hot showers and nice sites (albeit a lot of them).  
I decided that I could do without the kids riding Big Wheels down the hill, but they’re less annoying than their parents getting drunk and carousing until 2:30 AM.


Statistics:
Distance: 51.1 miles - my first half-century!
Average speed: 7.4 mph
Top speed: ~38 mph
3200 feet ascent, 3260 feet descent

My legs are a bit sore...

No comments:

Post a Comment