Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 16 - from Lake Quinault to Hoquiam, WA


I woke up at about 7:30 this morning when I heard the first drops of rain hit the roof of the camper. 

I pulled on enough clothing to make myself legal and hurried outside to pull in the laundry that I hung out last night.

Note: there aren't any pics today, because I left the camera in the camper rather than carry it in the rain.

Because of the rain, we moved rather slowly.  For breakfast, we cleaned out the fridge (yes, there's a fridge in the camper - I told you that it was my luxe accommodations) - so I had:
leftover Apple crisp from last night (well not so crisp, after all, it’s damp – what does that make it – apple sog?), fig flavored greek yogurt, candied salmon, sliced turkey and blue ripened goat cheese over crackers.  With the rain, we lingered and had a second pot of coffee.  

We are using a manual coffee grinder that Sharon found.  The Amish made it.  For one pot of coffee it takes about 450 revolutions of the handle.  It takes just about as long to grind the coffee as it does to bring the water to a boil on the propane stove.

Amusingly, I have cedar smoked pants.  All day the smell of smoke came to my nose, making me want BBQ.

The hardest riding today was getting from the campground back up to 101.  It seems that all campgrounds have steep drives leading down from the road.

I rode the 25 miles from the campground to Humptulips (no, I'm not kidding, that's the name of the town) in about 2 1/2 hours.  I pulled into  the Red Rooster Saloon to dry off a bit, get a cup of coffee and something to eat.  Sharon caught up with me soon after I arrived (she did laundry in the town of Quinault).  We had a simple but good meal and then headed off to Hoquiam to find a room, so that we can get showers, dry off and prepare for more rain tomorrow.

We pulled into literally the first motel in town from the North, the Stoken Motel.  They take dogs, have a perfectly nice room with a fridge and WiFi.  Thus they cover our needs.

Stats:
45 miles (in the rain!)
Average speed: 9.5 mph
top speed: probably about 40mph, but my phone says 126 mph (I don't think so).

No comments:

Post a Comment