Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Getting ready for the southern run

I have spent the last couple of days getting stuff together and dealing with the paperwork that piled up while I was gone.

Monday showed that I didn't even need to be on the road for surreal occurrences to happen.  I went into San Francisco to have lunch with the crew that I'd been working with for most of the last year, and while I was there for lunch, the client contacted the team leader to inform the group that the project would be wrapping up.  Not a bad run for a "two week project" - just under a year, but to have the call come in while I am there (for an hour or two) is just bizarre.  Ah well.  At least I can get my unemployment claim started.

Today I learned how to disassemble and reassemble my rear wheel (I need a slightly bigger crescent wrench), and how to true a wheel (well, nearly true - I've got the wobble under 1mm).

I have also removed the fenders and fairing and swapped out the tires - I'll be running on marathon pluses for the southern portion of the ride.

I will give everything a bit of a shakedown tomorrow to make sure everything works.  I did get silly and installed another cycle computer on the bike - this one is more programmable, and wireless.  It also allows me to program in a starting odometer reading, so I am running the numbers now to program them in and it will be easier to see what my total mileage for the trip is.

Friday I am off on the road again.  Saturday I'll get to Santa Cruz and Sunday I hope to stop just before Big Sur.

I am presently searching for places to land between Malibu and Laguna Beach - any contacts for people in: Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan beach, Hermosa BeachRedondo Beach, Torrence, Carson, Long Beach Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport beach and Laguna Beach would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment