Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 26 - Exploring Tillamook

I slept in late.  I was relishing even an air mattress at this point.

Shaton and I went into Tillamook to explore for the day.

First we went to the Blue Heron – they make good cheese (brie - plain, flavored and smoked) but their storefront is just too touristy.  They have a petting zoo, for goodness sake.  Besides, they have a huge stor with lots of stuff, but only a small corner in the back with their own products.  That just seems wrong to me.  Their products should be front & center with other products playing second fiddle.  I don't think that either of us bought anything.

We then went to the Tillamook cheese factory.  To my mind they did it right.  Lots of stuff about their cheese (and some about their ice cream), with some other stuff thrown in, but certainly incidental in comparison.  Here we each bought about a pound of cheese endcuts (very tasty stuff), and we each got a three flavor sampler of the ice cream (which is darned good).

Then we headed north, out of town to Tillamook Country Smoker - which is *just* a factory store.  No muss, no fuss, just lots of packages of smoked and dried meat.  I restocked my jerky supply, and then we went back into town.

Next we stopped at Debbie D’s smoker - the sort of place that I love to go to.  It's a one-woman shop.  She makes high-quality products and a wide variety of them.  I picked up some Salmon jerky and tried her sausages.  Good Stuff.

We then headed Back to Cape Mears to chill out for the rest of the evening.

No riding, and I forgot to grab my camera, so no pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment