Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 38 - Clam Beach Campground to Humboldt County Fairgrounds


Day 38 – (June 11)  Clam Beach Campground to Humboldt County Fairgrounds

Where I started
My Campsite at Clam Beach
Another gorgeous day – the second day in short sleeves.

I rode the trail through McKinleyville,
I guess they like horses in McKinleyville
into Arcata and then found my way to revolution cycles
This is a SERIOUS bike shop - good guys who live + breathe bikes
where they tightened up my cranks to 35 ft-lbs and said to get them checked.  If they start to loosen, I may need new crank arms.  I also bought a cycle computer, so that I don’t have to wake up the phone to see how fast I’m going and/or how far I’ve gone.


I then when over to Wildberries (across the street) and got a snack.  I then pulled out my power strip and started to charge both phones, the computer and the ipod while I first shopped for some more food (they have bulk spices!), and then installed the computer on my bike.  While I was installing the computer, I got into a conversation with a local Yoga instructor who was posting flyers about her studio.

I arrived at the bike shop about noon, and didn’t manage to leave Wildberries until about 4, and even then my computer and android phone weren’t fully charged.  Hrm.

When I passed through Eureka, I got proof that Eureka has Gamers:
Proof of gamers in Eureka


Unfortunately, due to my slow movement during the day, I passed through Loleta too late to check out the cheese factory.  Sharon tells me that it’s way better than the Tillamook factory.  I rode past the College of the Redwoods (looks like a nice campus) and headed down through Loleta and Fernbridge on the way to Ferndale.  I kept thinking of the farsical soap opera Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman as I headed towards Ferndale, but then I finally realized that the Soap was set in Fernwood.  Oh well.

Then I finally saw the sign:
Soon I could stop for the day


I found the concept of camping at the county fairgrounds interesting, but when I got there, I was pleasantly surprised.  As the only tent camper, I had a lot of space, water nearby, POWER – (I set to charging everything), phone signal and three picnic benches.  Also they have nice HOT showers and it was $10, all of which definitely makes Clam Beach seem expensive. 
When I arrived, I was next to a gentleman in a tricked out bus-style RV with slide outs.  He came out and we talked a bit.  He’s a serious car guy.  Everything from a ’32 Ford through muscle cars, and he just cruises around attending all of the car rallies, and heading North for the summer.

I set up camp, sauteed up a couple of squash, and settled into my tent to write and then eat junk food (Barbara’s Jalapeno cheese puffs) before curling up for the night with all of my charging equipment.

Music: 
Jethro Tull – Minstrel in the Gallery
Joan Jett – Bad Reputation
Joam Osborne – Relish
John Hiatt – Perfectly Good Guitar

48 miles
4 hours in Arcata, getting cranks checked & tightened, shopping, charging stuff and grabbing a snack

No comments:

Post a Comment