Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 27 - From Cape Mears to Woods County Campground

Day 27 (May 31, 2012)

After a lovely visit in Cape Mears, we headed back out on the road.  Here, I found that while the ride TO cape Mears was fairly flat, the ride FROM Cape Mears was anything but flat.  The six or so miles to Netarts started up a vicious hill.  I could tell that I hadn't warmed up yet because I actually had to stop a few times just getting up the first hill.  Once I got moving, it wasn't so bad, but the start was hard.

As I came to the edge of Netarts, I found yet another example of stupid cutesy street names, exactly the sort that annoy me (maybe I'm just easily annoyed, but still...)
Why?  Just Why?
Once I got into Netarts proper (is Netarts big enough to have a Netarts proper?), I reached the store that a friend had said was worth a visit just to talk to the proprietor.
She was right.  Lexi is definitely a neat lady.  She has a whole bunch of stuff, tending towards the kitchy, but actually a nice collection.  She's also fun to talk to, and insists that you have a brownie while looking around.  Definitely a cool lady.

When I reached the waterside again, it wasn't raining, or even misting, but the ceiling was really low.  It was rather neat to cruise along just under the fog.
Low Ceiling
With the coast by my side, I came upon a large collection of signs, which said things like what the shellfish limits are, and where each type is found, but this is what caught my eye (it's a little difficult to read on my screen, hopefully it's better on yours:
The well-mixed estuary
At an overlook at the crest of one of the hills, I saw this, which I thought was one of the neatest small memorials ever.  It was tucked into a corner and would be easy to miss, but it just tickled me:
What a neat memorial
Soon after, I saw this sign, which in fact summed up most of the rest of my day, and ride into Pacific City:

This was my reality
Eventually, I reached Pacific City, where we were aiming for a local campground (just outside Pacific City).  When I got to Pacific City, the first thing that I saw was a diner which completely cracked me up:
But do either Freewheeling Franklin or Phineas work there?  And what about the cat?
I made the turn towards the campground, and saw the next amusing business:
They make tasty scones
They were closed when I went by, but the next morning Sharon picked me up a scone and a T-shirt.  The scone was very good.

Then, only about 1/2 mile further, I reached the goal, the Woods campground:
The campground sign
This was a small and simple campground.  Only a dozen or so slots, apparently often taken by fishermen, who come in to work the local slough.  Several of them arrived after dark and left long before I moved in the morning.

Bird and I hung out for a little while, while Sharon went into town to get food for dinner.  Unfortunately, I do not now remember what it was, except that it was tasty.

Total distance: 31 miles
Average speed: 5.61 mph (including extensive breaks)
top speed: 41 mph

Music: (albums listened to) - I have finally discovered how the ipod shuffle works, so that I can listen to whole albums, when I like.  When I do that, it's easier to keep track of what I listened to, and for those days, I will now post what was playing - I dunno why, but since I have the info, what the heck.

The Band – Music from big Pink
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
The Black Crowes – Shake Your Moneymaker
Blues Traveler – Four


1 comment: