Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 28 - Woods County Campground to Beverly Beach state park

Day 28 (June 1)
It was drizzling, and grey.  I rode off in my rain gear and started putting down some miles.  As I crossed a bridge, I saw that directly below the bridge lay the Simon:
Simon says "blub"
In order to take the photo, I had to maneuver around a little gravel road, and got hot enough that I decided to skip the rain gear for the time being at least.

In Neskowin, I pulled into a little park to use the bathroom, and I met three Brits who had done the same.

My first real contact with other cyclists on the trip
The two on the left are Dee and Rog Sims and the gentleman on the right is Maurice.  Dee and Rog are cycling around the world, and have been at it for nearly two years.  Their Blog is at: www.afistfulofgears.co.uk, where they have published a couple of pictures of yours truly.  As I undertand it, they met Maurice on the road and he is joining them as far as San Francisco.  They are a nice group of people.

At Neskowin, the route leaves US101 for the scenic route, which includes parts of old US101.  Partway up the road, the forest service has put up this sign:
the scenic drive sign
The road was quite pretty, and while it just kept going up for a very long time, for the most part it wasn't that steep.  Besides, then I got to come down the other side.  I'm learning to lean into the turns more and make smoother transitions on the ess curves.

By the time I came out at Otis, I was kinda cold, and getting rather hungry, so I stopped in at the shop at the corner where the scenic drive emerges.  I got a cup of coffee and a corn dog (which was good, but a bit pricey for a corn dog)
They had a good, fresh corn dog (I saw it go into the fryer)

I then rode around the East side of Devil's Lake, mainly avoiding Lincoln City, which was a good thing.  Outside Lincoln City, I saw this collection of old streetcars and stuff which had been turned into stores:
"Streetcar Village"
It was impressive mainly for how downtrodden it looked.

Further down the road, I came across Boiler Bay:
The sign for Boiler Bay
This is definitely a place with rough waters:
Boiler Bay

The next wide spot in the road was Depoe Bay.  For some reason, I can't quite believe this sign, though:
This is something to brag about?
Rodea Point is another interesting memorial:
Even if not everyone views it that way:
This fella looked like he owned the joint
Further south, my route again left 101, this time for the Otter Crest Loop:

The roots of these trees form a wall
This was a neat little section of road, often with a solid hillside to the Left, and a wall of tree roots to the right which keeps one from seeing the sheer cliff.  The controls on this section of road are a bit odd:
While this was a fun road to ride, somehow, due to the foul weather, however, I missed Cape Foulweather - I just never saw the turn.  Oh well.

Immediately after the Otter Crest loop is:
Must be interesting
However, I got there at the wrong tide, so I didn't get to see any of the weirdnesses of the area.

Distance: just under 50 miles (android phone acting up, so I don't know the exact distances).

Music:

Counting Crows – Recovering the Satellites
Dire Straights – Love over Gold
The Gourds – Shinebox (Gotta love their bluegrass cover of Snoop Dogg’s Gin and Juice)
The Dead – American Beauty
The Dead – Workingman’s Dead


No comments:

Post a Comment